As I mentioned in my last post on Panto Progress, I had to spend some time frog stitching (rip it, rip it) because I learned lesson #1 the hard way (NEVER take your eyes off the panto design line…and when you do, make sure your needle is DOWN).
So, learning how to rip the stitching out was a good (notice I didn’t say FUN) experience for me. I have a new favorite tool…my Superior Snippers. They are PERFECT for handling this job. The very sharp, fine point is fantastic for getting under those tiny stitches and popping them out (always use care when using a seam ripper or sharp instrument on your quilt top).
How do I frog stitch? I discovered that “for me” if I just pop about every 5th – 6th stitch and then reach underneath and PULL that bobbin thread out it goes the fastes. For any straggling top thread bits, I use a lint roller (or a piece of packing tape works great too)…swipe across and they’re gone. Quick spritz…let it dry and I’m ready to quilt again.
I finished the panto…but changed to a different top thread, a Superior LAVA thread; I used Magna-Glide bobbins on the whole thing…they are AWESOME! Then I decided to “use” the quilted panto design (my rendition wasn’t that great) and “shadow quilt” over it again from the front (freehand style). When I ran out of the blue LAVA thread, I decided to test a new thread (it’s the yellow one) which I really like.
Doing freehand quilting over the previously quilted panto design was a great way to practice the controls and movement on both sides of the machine…a sort of 2fer. Oh yeah…I didn’t like how my points turned out inside the flowers on the panto quilting…so I filled them in with thread. YAY!
This practice piece is small and very simple (I just used muslin)…but I’ll put a simple binding on it and use it as a lap cover this fall/winter when the weather turns cool again. It will be fun to pull it out then and see how much I’ve learned over the summer.