Claire developments: Coordinating Fabrics Ink Dyed

The flour sack fabric has been Ink-dyed using Tsukineko Inks, rinsed and heat set. I am pleased with the results so far:

Flour sack fabrics have been ink dyed, rinsed and heat set.
White flour sack fabrics have been ink dyed, rinsed and heat set.

Next, my plan is to apply some Shiva Paintstik rubbings to these fabric pieces for texture.  I’ve been reviewing my Paintstik Inspirations with Laura Murray DVD today–it is a FANTASTIC resource.

Stay tuned to see how my Claire Handbag progresses.

Formulating a plan to make my LazyGirl Claire Handbag

The  just released Claire Handbag pattern from Lazy Girl Designs arrived earlier this week.

I am SEW excited to make my new girl, but I was facing the ‘what fabrics should I use’ dilemma.  Oh I have plenty of wonderful fabrics in my stash, just not enough of the right ones that want to play nice together AND–more importantly–ones that suit my fancy today.

What’s a crazy fiber art and fabric loving girl to do? Well, I could buy more fabric but then I’d just have to wait longer to get started.  I’ve scheduled some “creativity for me” time for tomorrow and I can’t put that to waste.  SO, I selected the one fabric that spoke loudest to me–great.  NOW what.  Well, I’ll just make my own coordinating fabrics, of course.  How am I going to do that?  I don’t have any fabric dying supplies.  Hmmmm….think, think, think. Oh I have just the ticket: Tsukineko Inks.

Butterfly fabric and Tsukineko Inked coordinates
Butterfly fabric and Tsukineko Inked coordinates

Several weeks ago I purchased several pieces of flour sack cloth.  I didn’t know what I was going to do with it at the time, I just knew I needed to buy it.  I’m glad I did.  This seems like the perfect opportunity to play with inks and things to develop my own special fabric. I selected inks that closely coordinated with colors in the butterflies.

I poured approximately 1/2 of each bottle into its own gallon size freezer bag.  I lightly but thoroughly dampened the flour sack cloth (which had already been pre-washed and dried). I carefully placed one piece of flour sack cloth in each freezer bag.  I carefully let out all the excess air from the bag and sealed the top then proceeded to work the ink through the cloth.  I am allowing the cloth and inks to sit in the bags for a full 24 hours.  I periodically squish, squash and turn the cloth.  Tomorrow I will air dry outside then heat set with pressing cloth and hot iron.  To be sure the color is set, I will do a thorough rinse until the water is clear.

I already know I’ll want to add some textural design on the inked fabrics once they’ve dried and the color has been set.  Tomorrow I am planning to apply some Shiva Paintstik using rubbing plates.

Yes, that sounds pretty good… and then maybe I’ll add some _________.

Stay tuned to see my Claire progress.